Now, if you opened this email from just reading my subject line, thank you! I know this is a topic many ladies do not like to talk about. Most of us love shoes, and we have a shoe collection. I have some dress shoes, but my weakness is running shoes. I currently have 4 pair of running shoes in rotation. I have a mud pair, a pair that is just a little bit better than that, and I have 2 pair that do not have a lot of miles on them yet. I average 25 to 40 miles of running per week, so I go through running shoes quickly. I can get 300 to 500 miles per pair of shoes. When I get a new pair, I toss the oldest pair and move everything down the list. I do run on trails when it rains, so I keep 1 pair for that purpose. I try to not keep too many on hand at once, but I will buy a pair on sale on hold on to them until I need them. If I can’t fit my shoes in my storage area, then I have too many shoes. So that is my guideline.
Today, I want you to spend 15 minutes purging shoes from your home. Check with your children. They likely have shoes in their rooms or closets that do not fit. Kids’ feet grow quickly. With four boys at home, we go through shoes pretty fast. But they are pretty minimalist on how many pair they each have. They have a pair of Sunday dress shoes, a good pair of tennis shoes, a pair they can wear in the mud, boots, and flip flops. With girls, I know it gets more complicated if you match shoes to outfits.
Send me pictures of the shoes you get rid of!
Zone Mission – The great shoe purge
- Make Your Bed (Do this as soon as you get up.)
- Get Dressed Down to Your Shoes
- Swish and Swipe
- Start Your Laundry
- Decide on Dinner
- Check Your Calendar
- Start the Day off with a Shiny Sink. Don’t leave the breakfast dishes sitting.
- Look at your bookshelves. Do you need to do some reorganizing or purging?
- Eat Lunch
- Clear off One Hot Spot
- Reboot the Laundry
- Declutter for 15 Minutes (Be sure to have your children declutter, too.)
- Drink Your Water
Before Bed: (This starts right after dinner.)
- Check the Calendar for Tomorrow
- Lay out Your Clothes for Tomorrow (Have your children lay their clothes out, too.)
- Put things at your launch pad
- Shine Your Sink
- Clean Off a Hot Spot
- Go to Bed at Decent Hour